2020 TRYSTEM ABROAD
WHY STUDY ABROAD?
At the age of 18 years old I was fortunate to have the opportunity to travel abroad to a non-English speaking country. It was a summer school immersion language/business program in France. While there I had the opportunity to visit and tour other countries like Spain, Italy, and Switzerland. There I was immersed in the language, culture and cuisine. "What a culture shock! What an experience!"
Studying and travelling abroad not only drastically improved my language skills, (French & English) but also equipped me with unique life experiences I likely wouldn’t have had on U.S. soil. My time abroad shaped me; I returned home more globally aware, self-reliant and prepared for life in college and beyond.
Some other Personal Benefits
Studying abroad was an amazing experience that changed my life. Studying abroad allowed me to learn and grow in many ways. By studying overseas, I received:
- Increased self-confidence
- Increased maturity, both personally and intellectually
- Better understand my personal strengths and weaknesses
- Desire to learn more about my own culture
- Learn to creatively solve problems
- Studying abroad moved me out of my comfort zone.
- I was exposed to new social and academic customs.
- I learned to speak, read, and write in another language.
- I made a lot of new friends.
- Johnny White, VBA Special Projects Coordinator